Paris is without a doubt the most romantic place on earth, a cultural center, and a fashion center. It has the best restaurants in the world and some of the best museums. Here’s a list of the 10 absolutely must-see places and best attractions in Paris, the city with the never-ending romance and adventure.
1. Eiffel Tower – Perhaps the most famous structure in the world, and the icon for Paris and France, this iron tower is located on the Champ de Mars in Paris, named after the engineer Gustave Eiffel who designed it in 1889. With height of 324 meters, the tower is the tallest structure in Paris and was the tallest tower in the world from 1889 to 1930. It is the most-visited paid monument in the world, with over 7 million people in 2011
2. Le Louvre – The Louvre, one of the best museums in the world and originally a medieval fortress, became a museum two centuries ago. The museum exterior is world famous due to the pyramid in the main entrance that was added in 1989. The museum’s collections are among the most important in the world but the most famous attraction is without a doubt Leonardo da Vinci’s “Mona Lisa”
3. Arc de Triomphe and Avenue des Champs-Elysées – One of the most popular tourist attractions in Paris and the most famous man made arches in the world, the Arc de Triomphe was constructed in 1806 to memorialize the triumphal battles of Napoleon Bonaparte. Standing 164 feet (50 m) high and 148 feet wide (45 m), the arch features intricate reliefs depicting victorious battles and engraved names of many who died fighting for the emperor. Beneath the arch is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier from the first world war. The Arc de Triomphe stands at the beginning of the world famous Avenue des Champs-Elysées, where a nice walk down the avenue and prestige shops is a must
4. Notre Dame de Paris – The Notre Dame cathedral is one of the most singular and beautiful cathedrals of Europe, and one of the most famous cathedrals in the world. The cathedral’s dramatic towers, spire, stained glass and statuary are most impressive. The Notre Dame was the heart of medieval Paris and took over than a century to complete
5. Sacre Coeur and Montmartre – The Sacre-Coeur basilica is located on top of Montmarte hill, at the highest point of Paris. It is one of the most noticeable landmarks in the city and it draws countless tourists every year to see its marble architecture and gorgeous interior. The Montmartre hill itself is also an attraction thanks to the beautiful landscape it offers. The view from the hill, especially at the evening is breathtaking. Most tourists choose to take the special tram up the hill instead of walking up the steps
6. Luxembourg Gardens – The Luxembourg Gardens park is the garden of the French Senate, which is itself housed in the Luxembourg Palace. The park is the second largest in Paris. Visitors here can picnic or stroll leisurely among beautiful lawns, formal gardens and fruit orchards that feature many artistic statues and fountains. There are also jogging paths, tennis courts and fitness equipment
7. Musée d’Orsay – Just a short walk from the Louvre, the Musee d’Orsay houses the world’s most important collection of impressionist and post-impressionist painting, the Musee d’Orsay’s has three floors of modern art, from Degas’ ethereal dancers to Monet’s water lilies, all the way to Gaugin’s leafy jungles. Major works by Van Gogh, Delacroix, Manet, and others are also located within this important museum
8. Père Lachaise Cemetery – Countless famous people are buried in this cemetery. Some of the famous names are Jim Morrison (The Doors), Molière, Oscar Wilde, Edith Piaf, Frédéric Chopin, Jean de la Fontaine, Richard Wright and many more. Walking through the cemetery and looking for the famous tombs is a popular attraction among tourists visiting Paris
9. Boat Tour of the Seine River – Seeing some of Paris most beautiful sites while you drift down the Seine river is an unforgettable experience. Many companies offer one hour tours of the Seine, either during the day, or at night, where the lights of the beautiful city reflect on the water
10. Centre Georges Pompidou – Also known as the Pompidou Centre, this complex in the Beaubourg area houses the Bibliothèque publique d’information, a vast public library, the Musée National d’Art Moderne which is the largest museum for modern art in Europe, and a centre for music and acoustic research. It is named after Georges Pompidou, the President of France from 1969 to 1974 who commissioned the building. Parisians consider the center to be the cultural pulse of the city
5 CommentsLeave a comment
Oh. I like to try cruising the River Seine at night. I’m hoping to be with my husband in Paris with my husband. What a romantic idea!
It’s the Eiffel Tower, there really doesn’t need to be much more said..lol. I would not miss the chance to see this great landmark and be sure and take the elevator all the way to the 3rd floor observation. It’s amazing. Also, there are restaurants in the Eiffel tower that serve lunch and dinner. You can make reservations ahead
Waw.. it’s very nice Paris tourist attractions & photos. I like post. Thanks for sharing. Paris is the city of Light, the one that never sleeps. It’s the perfect place for a romantic break, for those who enjoy a good meal with a great bottle of wine, for art and museum lovers, history buffs and shopaholics.
Aside from the above major Paris tourist attractions also I suggest to see Festivals & Events in Paris like Off the Beaten Path, Nouveau Festival International de Danse de Paris, Festival d’Automne, Glad Stone Fest, Paris Burlesque Festival, MaMA Festival, Never Say Die Festival, Festival International des Jardins, FestiVal de Marne, All Saints’ Day – Toussaint, Festival d’Automne, The Brain Festival.
Paris is the world fashion capital. Famous for its designer boutiques. Head to Rue de Faubourg St Honoré for the top designer stores and a shopping experience amongst Europe’s rich and famous. Boulevard Haussmann offers the great Galeries Lafayette and the Champs Elysées is full of designer and high street stores. Also there are some famous market such as the Saint Ouen Flea market.
Very useful article. You can also consider to add Rodin museum to the list and eating in a brasserie as top attractions to do while in Paris.